BEST FOR 2018 – Best Essential Oils to Nourish Your HairBy The DivaGals | January 25, 2018 | Beauty
Everyone is talking about Essential oils and how effective they are for moisturizing and bringing new life to dull dry brittle hair. If your hair is naturally kinky, curly or chemically treated then you know that if you don’t hydrate or moisturize you will be the victim of frizzy crunchy hair. Your hair can also become brittle through regular use of hair styling appliances like blow dryers, curling irons, and flat irons, like the ones available at brilliancenewyork.com.
Historically, before we had beauty supply shops and hair care professionals, people used essential oils for a variety of medicinal and cosmetic purposes. With a little intel and a credit card, you can create your own luxurious essential oil blends that will give you the look and feel of an expensive salon treatment.
Here are some essential oils that experts recommend for natural hair or chemically treated hair to keep it moisturized and to fight breakage due to dryness: We’ve added some links to some of our fave oils below!
- Castor oil has natural antibacterial and antifungal properties and is high in Vitamin E, minerals, proteins, and Omega 6 and 9 beneficial fatty acids. Its unusually high ricinoleic acid ratio makes it beneficial to skin and hair. It is effective in fighting hair loss because it stimulates follicles and increases circulation.
- Almond oil soothes and moisturizes the scalp.
- Cedarwood oil stimulates the scalp and promotes hair growth.
- Chamomile oil adds shine and softness to hair and soothes the scalp.
- Clary sage oil promotes hair growth and stimulates the scalp.
- Coconut oil softens hair and increases shine.
- Geranium oil strengthens hair and smells amazing.
- Jojoba oil moisturizes the hair, add nutrients and stimulates the scalp. Jojoba closely resembles your body’s natural oils so its easily absorbed into your pores without clogging them.
- Lavender oil deep conditions the hair, keeps it shiny and helps control dandruff.
- Moroccan argan oil moisturizes, nourishes, and provides antioxidants to hair.
- Rosemary oil stimulates the roots, improves hair growth, and increases circulation in the scalp.
- Sandalwood oil helps with dry split ends and adds exotic fragrance to the hair.
- Hemp oil enhances the growth of hair on the scalp in a number of ways. Among these is through the Omega3, Omega6, and Omega9 fatty acids, which are necessary for stimulating growth
- Manuka oil is wonderful for itchy scalps and dandruff sufferers.
- Marula oil This multipurpose oil contains powerful antioxidants, high concentrations of nutrients and essential fatty acids that protect against environmental aggressors, helps reverse photo-damage, boosts cellular activity, hydrates at the deepest levels and repairs the skin.
- African Moringa oil is a storehouse of all the nutrients required for healthy hair. Hair loss occurs due to the deficiency of vitamin B- especially B6, biotin, inositol and folic acid. Proper blood circulation to the scalp enables hair follicles to grow stronger and healthier. Vitamin C together with vitamin E helps in the improvement of blood circulation in the scalp. It is vital to maintaining capillaries that carry blood onto the follicles. Moringa contains abundant quantities of minerals such as calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, selenium, copper and manganese which are essential for healthy hair.
You only need a few drops of an essential oil — mix one or more types in your conditioner. Or mix the drops into 2 ounces of a “carrier” oil, such as olive, shea butter or jojoba. These fragrant hydrating solutions can also be used to moisturize your skin. Try these combos on for size:
- Cedarwood, clary sage, and lavender
- Jojoba, clary sage, and cedarwood
After you apply the oil mixture use a shower cap to allow the heat to seep into your scalp so it can be easily absorbed. You can either wash out a treatment after 30 minutes or leave it on overnight and rinse in the morning. If you apply just a small amount you can use this regularly as a daily treatment before you flat iron, curl or style your hair.