Five Things To Know About Miss Universe 2019 Zozibini Tunzi – Pure Black Girl Magic!By Delaina Dixon | December 10, 2019 | Entertainment
The DivaGals are giving big claps to Zozibini Tunzi, the South African beauty who took home the Miss Universe crown on Sunday night. Here are five facts you have to know about her!
1. She is 26 years old and hails from Tsolo, South Africa. She also speaks Xhosa, a Nguni Bantu South African language with click consonants, which is the second language of many of the people living in the country.
2. She is a passionate activist who is engaged in the fight against gender-based violence. She is earning a graduate degree in public relations management at Cape Peninsula University of Technology and worked as a graduate intern in the public relations department of Ogilvy Cape Town.
3. She is the first black winner in eight years. Leila Lopes from Angola, Africa, took home the crown in 2011.
4. She speaks up for Black Girl Magic. In her closing speech, Zozibini said, “I grew up in a world where a woman who looks like me — with my kind of skin and my kind of hair — was never considered to be beautiful … I think it is time that stops today. I want children to look at me and see my face, and I want them to see their faces reflected in mine.”
5. She is repping for the TWA! Zozibini shared on her Twitter, “I came into this competition with my natural hair as a symbol of my firm belief in fair representation. I hope I have inspired people and to insert themselves in spaces where they feel that people like them do not belong.”
photo credit: Twitter